Demystifying Human Resources
Demystifying Human Resources – 30/10/2018
Demystifying Human Resources (HR)
“If you can't explain it to a six-year-old, you don't understand it yourself.” As Einstein highlighted, if I can demystify HR for a six-year-old then we are winning! Every day I am asked what exactly is Human Resources? What do we do? How can we help small businesses? There is a common concept that we simply hire and fire staff, but Human Resources is so much more than that!
What is Human Resources?
Human Resource Management, also known as ‘personnel’ is all about your people – simply put the process of managing employees in your business! Without proper human resource management, it is not possible to operate a successful and profitable business!
- Providing support, advice and guidance to businesses on the legalities of employing staff in Northern Ireland. This could range from national minimum wage requirements to annual leave entitlement to rest break periods.
- Managing the recruitment and selection of new employees without discriminating. This includes defining the job with a job description, determining what attributes are needed to do the job and prepare a person specification, preparing a job advertisement and application form. Carrying out shortlisting, interviews and selecting candidates.
- Developing terms and conditions of employment and contracts of employment in line with employer’s legal obligations.
- Developing policies and procedures that will help employees understand what standards are expected of them and will help managers deal with these issues in a fair and consistent way. Examples include: Absence, Flexible Working, Social Media and Maternity/Paternity Leave.
- Monitoring and reporting on sickness absence to identify trends or causes for absences and to target any actions appropriately.
- Managing performance of employees, providing training and development solutions to ensure employees have the right skills and competencies for the job.
- Handling employment related issues, from complex grievances, to absence issues and day to day employment matters.
Are you Thriving or Surviving?
Human Resources can help your business balance strategic needs, legal obligations, your duty of care as an employer and ultimately the wellbeing of the workforce. Without the right HR advice, achieving this balance can seem like a minefield! This balance not only protects your reputation and brand but ensures that your business avoid tribunals as employment law is constantly evolving and changing.
If you need any info or advice contact firstname.lastname@example.org